A Greasy Fire in an Abingdon Kitchen
The unattended frying pan caught fire, and the greasy, sooty smoke coated the popcorn ceiling, cabinets, and other items in the kitchen. Upon arriving, we quickly sealed off this room from the remainder of the home in Abingdon to prevent the odors from permeating unaffected areas. We also set up hydroxyl generators to capture smoke particles and chemically purify the ambient air. Our fire & smoke technicians, using dry sponges successfully wiped down the enamel painted walls and finished wooden cabinets. However, the ceiling could not be totally cleaned, with some staining and odors remaining. We painted the ceiling with an odor suppressing primer which also sealed the streaky stains. After several days, this treatment did its job, so the ceiling was ready for a finished coat. The homeowner was very pleased that the popcorn ceiling did not have to be removed. We saved him money and a mess. He stated that he felt "Like it never even happened."